April 30, 2007

Shanghai American School: SAS for short.





So the rumors are true. I have a job. and it couldn't be more different than my previous teaching experience: Large school, huge staff, older staff, private well-funded, married staff, experienced teachers, international population, more white students at SAS than at my school in San Francisco... huge modern buildings, extensive library, limitless resources.
Every day it feels like going to the United States... and I live in a community that makes it hard to believe that I am even in China at all. So I have gotten a job... an been transported to the United States or a version of it. All of this is to say that I am adjusting, pleased to be working, fortunate to be in such an incredible school, and lucky to know such people.

After teaching for less than a week I have interviewed for a job for next year at the other campus. this school is so big that it has 2 campuses. The high school is looking to hire me for a position starting in August. I got sick at the end of this past week, but went to the interview anyway and managed to make quite an impression and had a really good time.

Over the past few days I have really struggled with the idea of working in August, staying here in Shanghai, working in such an American community and so on. There have been so many issues to consider on both sides of the issue. I have been nearly driving myself crazy. which is a little premature if you ask me because they haven't even called me back for a second interview, let alone offered me the position so to get so wrapped up in a decision I may never need to make is silly, but I have done that any way. I think, in the long run, it will be a good use of time, although crying in that restaurant the other night at 1:30 in the morning was embarrassing for all involved. I have really struggled with the choice and like the tide oscillated every 12 hours. I think I have ebbed for the final time, but even that I don't know for sure.

I have made a life for myself here in this community and in a school. It is a sizable accomplishment for just over a week. I am happy. and sometimes even that surprises me.

If you want to know any of the specific details about the school check out their website. www.saschina.org/

No comments: