April 20, 2007

First Day on the Job

By the time you wake up in the morning, Friday morning, I will have finished my first day at school, my first day at work. I got the job. I took the job.

Today was my first day...
There are so few days until the end of the year... I am already feeling the squeeze...
or maybe it is just that I have been wearing shoes all day that certainly don't quite fit... I searched for two days to find work appropriate shoes... and did... but not really in my size. so no doubt the search will go on...
I have been observing, collaborating and running from place o place today.
I have made it to one of my temporary homes and reel the sudden relief. my feet are free.
I feel the pain of Chinese foot binding. it is a modern version. and it is designed with the same purpose in mind, to make women more attractive. these shoes, I have to admit are very cure and I am happy to own them... however I am much less happy to wear them, but for the moment, I have chosen the pain and discomfort of style and beauty over the functionality of appropriately sized clod hoppers. I have recently resolved to only wear women’s clothes and women’s shoes, seeing as I am a woman, I think it is about time I come to that. But really it is so much more difficult... especially in China with my hobbit feet.
But I am well.

I like the school. there has already been a lot of talk about "next year" it seems they are salivating to hire me for something in the fall... \
I am pleased to be such a hot commodity in this competitive market. I know that I have made the right decision by accepting this position. I have already achieved the goals that I approached the job with: I have learned valuable teaching strategies and I have built bridges for future jobs in the International School circuit. Yea for me. Now all I have to do is show up for work 30 more times... really that is it. Amazing really. The hiring process has taken almost that long already. But I am glad to be here and part of the school. It is such a contrast to my previous teaching experience.

I am in the search for a place to live. Once I have the job and the shoes that fit, then I can move on to lesser, but constant concerns like, "where am I going to sleep tonight?" I have a few days guaranteed with my family friend and adoptive mother, who is also responsible for supplying the introduction to the job and talking me up in the halls, Patty Winpenny. And I will be there a week in May while she is on a school trip to Mongolia, but there are still then a few weeks that will require another form of residence, but I think I have decided not to attempt renting or subletting a place. There is not enough time to make it work the effort. So I plan to freeload around the school community and among the friends I have made in Shanghai. Hopefully that plan works. And since the salary I have accepted from the school is on the low end of low, I will greatly appreciate the financial relief of human kindness and generosity.

I am on my way...
to where is not clear, certainly not clear after June 9th.
I have ideas... but no plans.
I am on my way.
maybe I will see you there.

No comments: