November 15, 2008

Four Countries in 10 hours



Back in the day I used to travel at light speed (18 countries in 6 weeks... one or two countries only got a few hours.sorry Corsica) Last night I flew from EEUU (USA) to El Salvador. nearly missed my flight arriving 10 minutes after departure time. fortunately everything runs slower in Latin America. I think i was on the groun for a total of about 30 min. off to Costa Rica where I had been hoping that I would biss the next flight, for of all the places to get stranded, Costa Rica looked like a good one. unfortunately I had a healthy lay-over of nearly 45 min. ** notice that I have already been in 3 countries including the country of origin... and then the final Flight ... the one that makes this trip a reality: SJO-BOG San Jose to Bogota. when I get off that next plane I will be where I have been thinking of being for months. it will be real. It will have begun. this ridiculous increadible journey over and through worlds i have only dreamed about.
and so i doze off having not really slept much ... in over a week. I immediately wake to see we are on the ground again. did i sleep throught the entire flight? are we in Colombia? it look s a lot like Costa Rica. i dont remember Bogota Looking like this. OH! it ia çause we are still in Costa Rica. the plane hasn't taken off yetr. we are on the run-way. and then it begins... we fly. it rains. we land. I make friends with the immigration officer. her is going to be my language partner... oh my. I get a stamp and sweet talk my way into getting a bit longet stay on my visa. I get my bag. change money. get wet. wait in line for a taxi. get a lip with my destination. climb into taxi. soak my way through traffic. see the city streets fall in love with politically chaged graffitti on everything and than i get to where i am going.
check. four countries in just under ten hours.

time to slow down.

No comments: