March 16, 2014

What My Cat (and My Dog) Taught Me About Being a Better Person

Love & Affection & Devotion might all be the same thing. There are innumerable ways to express these emotions. My cat and dog have been instructing me in the ways of devoted affection. While they are still arch rivals and bitter enemies, they do seem to cooperate in one thing, loving me relentlessly. These lessons have taught me that love comes in all shapes and sizes. My pets have taught me how to have the life I want. Here are there lessons.
Sleep is good. Get plenty of it. Sleep at any time of day or night and in any position that seems comfortable, the funnier the better as long as you are comfortable. Devote yourself whole-heartedly to being adorable and accept willingly the outcome. Sleep revives the body and spirit for enthusiastic play in the future. Sleep encourages cuddling. Do it often. You won’t regret it.
 Work “It is not as important as you think it is. So stop worrying about it and pet me,” my cat tells me. He is consistent in his behavior. If I am working on the computer or have papers spread out on the table, he hops up and makes himself comfortable. He has an uncanny ability to discern exactly what I am working on and plunks himself down directly on top of that. If I am engrossed in writing something he arrays himself, just so, so his head covers a third of the keyboard and more often than not hits random keys making my flow a bit less smooth. (He is unfortunately not responsible for ALL my type-os and incongruous thoughts.) But it is with subtle determination that he urges me to not work so hard and take a moment to pet him which suites us both.

Importance of time together: All problems can be solved with a little snuggle time (or a walk, Did you say WALK?!?!) Eating, sleeping, watching the sunset, doing the dishes and even taking a shower are all better when done together. This is the philosophy my pets indoctrinate me with. We are co-dependant in the most adorable way. This is because we are better together.

Eating: Food is good. Enjoy it, but remember that it is better to eat in the company of others. My cat will not eat with out my company. He often meows until I accompany him and pet him while he eats. It is a pampered life style, but who wouldn’t benefit from similar pampering or affectionate care?

Forgiveness: When you are angry, be angry. And as soon as you are done, be done.  If you make a mistake ask for forgiveness, in any way you know how; my dog prefers apologies of the tongue, licks. Emotions are grand. Have them. Resentment, however, is for complicated minds and only breeds misery, so skip it. Forgive and move on to more snuggling. 

Communication- Sincerity is essential in all that we do. Ask for what you want and need in any way you know how. It significantly increases your chance of getting it. Sometimes people can’t read your mind or are too wrapped up in their own to notice what you think should be obvious. So ask. My cat communicated even when he is not sure what he wants, but chances are it is food. He uses his words, his actions, his licks and his claws. There are a million things to communicate and even more ways of communicating them. My dog makes it abundantly clear when she wants or needs to go out for a walk. I need the reminder. And there are times when I have to communicate too. But with all things we learn how to express ourselves and have ourselves understood.

Commitment- Take care of each other as best you can. And stay together as long as you can by following the lessons above to the best of your abilities.


When I find myself in alignment with these principles I am closer to being the person I want to be.

No comments: