June 15, 2013

"Comme'er money; I wanna spend you!"

Inspirational words from a three-year-old send me out into the universe. "Comme'er money; I wanna spend you!" he says while shaking a pink bicycle-shaped piggy bank. Shake, shake. Rattle. Shake, shake. Bang, bang, bang. Shake, rattle, bang, shake-shake. Young Thatcher speaks wisdom, or rather puts words to a cultural craving, or our human core, gone global. He channels the cosmic voice while speaking to the coins inside. Shake, Shake, rattle-bang. The power of his words scatters out onto the kitchen table and tumbles to the floor. and silently a coin slides backwards out of the slot and onto his hand. A miracle. "Papa, Do it again!" He clutches the booty recently rescued from the abstinent piggy-bank. "What are you going to buy?" I ask. And like with any hard-won prize, the joy is in the effort, he says, "I don't know."

No comments: