October 10, 2009

The new plan.. or the daily reality




To say that i had a plan would be a bit presumptuous. But I am pretty sure I can say with certainty where I am right now and what I am doing.
With 6 days notice I took a teaching Job and moved from my settled root in the Vermont countryside to a bustling secret city in the heart of Colombia. I dropped one plan (to live in a cabin on a hill, grow a garden, fall in love and settle down) and erupted into a new reality. one, honestly that suits me better.
there was no promise of a job in Vermont, despite a noble effort. This job, although it drains me, is rewarding and I am reminded why I am meant to be in the classroom. I am my best there. It requires my talents, strength, humor and patience. (all of it) sometimes I wonder if I am left with anything else...
For now my conscious (and much of my unconscious) is taken up with thoughts and plans of my courses: Modern US History and Comparative politics and Government. The other night I dreamed of nothing but bibliographies and proper citation format. Not even in REM can I escape the reality of my present choices.
I am here and love it. but sacrificed a lot in the process.
and I am sinking under the strain of old habits, daunting grading and the age-appropriate loneliness of a single 30-year old woman living in a foreign county. Sandwiched by weekend adventures and rest, my work days can be digested.
there is friendship, adventure and hope to be found here. it is just a matter of mustering or conserving the energy to find it.
As for a plan... I am starting to learn that there is no such thing, however, that said, I have signed a contract to teach here for 2 years... and so that suggests some kind of plan. commitment. Beyond that I am not sure. isn't that a relief.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

thank you - for posting again. I was wondering where you landed, and even though you don't know me at all, I am happy to hear of your new adventure. If you want to know bits about who is sending this comment to you - my blog is http://www.lunawings.blogspot.com/

your courage inspires me!! thanks for sharin' it :)

sierramelcher said...

it is great to hear from you again. i have slipped away but realize it is time to start writing again.