January 17, 2009

$1500+ lighter

Apparently I needed to learn a lesson. on the bus yesterday from Cuenca to Loja (two towns in Southern Ecuador) I had all my valuables stolen out of my bag. I dont even want to add up the value... really the shame is that I was carrying all that stuff for the project I was going to do in Peru. I will still be going to the village and will do the work, but will not be able to create the documentation i hoped to... no video and no documents.
But all things considered I am in very good spirits and relieved that at least my bags are much lighter now... the rest of the journey will be easier in that regard.
I now feel, after 9 years of serious journeying, that I am a real traveler. I have had one of those expereinces that you have to had on the road at one time or in one way or another. I HAVE GRADUATED. I still think I wish I hadn't but it is too late now for that kind of thinking. it is gone and it was my fault for long enough i was not vigalant. i was not paying attention. and i know better. i knew my life was in that bag... and i wasn't paying attention. and now i have nothing left worth taking. nothing more to loose... so i doesn't matter if i have learned my lesson or not... isnt life just ironic like that. but i have been able to laugh about it all. and only had a fraction of a second where I really felt violated, helpless and angry. so even that feels like a victory. Is it ridiculous to feel this way? Do i care? Do I have a choice?

so my life and my bags are at least $1500 lighter.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

wow! you continue to amaze me - I hope you are doing ok since your very unfortunate experience....