May 23, 2007

Difficult decisions put into perspective.



In case you thought you were having a bad day, or that your life was hard, think again. (I have spent the last few weeks and increasingly so in the last 10 days agonizing over a decision, and now what has turned into several decisions all tangled together. I had a particularly hard time of it yesterday as the clock is ticking and the final countdown begins... I had just lost a match of the spirit... to a potentially future principle. He schooled me, as I suppose, principles are oft to do. But this was my first time feeling completely reduced to nothing after leaving the principles office. I also imagine that is because as a child I didn’t get into nearly enough trouble, so it leaves me as an adult with an usually low tolerance for criticism. The point being I was in the dumps and felt consumed by my circumstances. Until this.)

Please take a moment to watch something if at all inclined. Having just come from this town and having three of the five Colombians I know attending this school it is particularly moving and important to me, and may not be to you... also I imagine that this may not be reaching everyone through the mainstream media, although it was recorded by CNN. This has been going on for several months. Classes have been suspended and the entire academic semester is about to be thrown out- rendering students without any credits for this term.

If you are thinking that your life is desperate and difficult this might put things in perspective. It certainly put me in my place. I immediately recovered from my foolishness. That is not to say that 24 hours later I am still at peace with the decisions still yet to be made (by tomorrow morning), but I certainly have had to reconsider my place in the world... and my perception of it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLsqR0fJ3w

No comments: