March 13, 2007

Waking up in Shanghai


Even from the atmospheric viewpoint all the way up here on the 16th floor, I wake up to the opera of car horns, sirens and the occasional shout. The city dances below us through the notoriously thick air. The haze, like a curtain that has been drawn in front of my windows, lies heavy on the city.
Now my computer battery will die and I only just realize that the power converters I have are no good and don’t fit. So glad I brought them…. Te he. (laugh)
Hours later the problem is solved. I am connected again and feeling much better. I have had my first Chinese lesson and realized that with enough time I will be able to learn anything.
Most of this day has been spent studying Chinese, writing and eating breakfast witch was just the leftovers from dinner. The day was punctuated by a midmorning nap where again I slept like life depended on it. My cousin came home at one pm on his lunch break to bring me a key to the flat. That provided motivation to rise yet again and take on the rest of the first day in China which has been comprised of a shower, from which I feel refreshed and invigorated, a snack and a wander around the neighborhood. I haven’t managed to leave the living room yet, but have high hopes. I find that often when I travel great distances the first day is spent with minimum of movement. I think of this as time for my brain to catch up with my body. And it feels that way literally. After traveling at 1400 miles at tremendous ground speeds it is only reasonable to expect that not everything will be able to catch up. So this first day is time to gather myself.
The sun is coming out and the haze is thinning enough to make the city look inviting, but apparently it is quite cold out there.
It is midnight at home and just four in the afternoon here. The light is helpful in convincing my body what time it is and what I should be doing, but there is still a strong urge to return to the dark places under the duvet and get lost in the chaos of thoughts that works its self out as I sleep.
To ward off sleep I know that eventually I will have to go out, but I feel a strange urge now that I have traveled across the world, to just stay home. Is this me… ? Am I weird as a result of this? Any one want to take bets as to whether I will in fact leave the building today?

No comments: