April 19, 2014

A story deep inside

I have a story deep inside me. It moves like a hibernating dragon.  Slowly breathing in a roar. Randomly twitching like a sleeping dog chasing a rabbit through Andalucian dream fields. And then going silent until it is forgotten. But this story, like a body bag, drags behind me when I travel, sits on my chest as I sleep and whispers in my ear when I am eyes are closed. It tells me lies and for so long I have been listening without realizing that it is time to break up with this story. It needs to be set loose in greener pastures.

When I run it runs faster. When I sleep it watches me. When I dream it thwarts me.

So this story is not of me or for me. Like a cancer it has been thriving and resides inside my rib cage. It is time to start cutting and scrapping.

The only problem is that it means I have to go back to all those places I left and swore never to return to.

No comments: