March 2, 2010

a love affair with the rain.



The rain can’t deter me. The pit in my stomach neither. The glory of the familiar and the mundane is raining down on me, literally trickling, spitting, pattering and in the hot breeze battering me with reminders. Momentary awakenings and the physical properties of sunshine.

Tired. Still. Hungry, not really. Ready and not ready. Hiding and basking. Is it possible to have too many contradictions? Is it possible to ruin a computer in the rain.
Is it possible to fall in love with yourself? Or break-up for that matter?
Kiss me rain. Kiss me tender and caress my hair, my arms and ankles. My cheek.
The sun threatens to break through those clouds and break up this wonderful love affair of the afternoon. Your unrelenting passion of this afternoon torrent is now gone. More timid and gentle you fall as if for the first time, unaware of the power, force and romance you hold within each droplet of your being. You dance with the wind, but I feel as if you fall only upon my skin. Is it possible to love a force of nature?
And when the torrential afternoon passion is gone and the land is quiet and water seeps into the soil, once the birds have ruffled their feathers and the bamboo no longer drips, where will you be? Who will stay with me? You will go back to where you came from, no idea when you will return. Back to the river, back to the lake, back to the sky. Who am I to ask you to stay? What can I give you in return?
So I sit on the balcony railing and let you kiss me good-bye; the wind already pulling at my hair tearing you away. And when the sun breaks through the clouds and others sigh in relief, you are gone. And all I am left with is… a love affair with the rain.

No comments: