October 23, 2007

The Shortest distance between two points in China is never a straight Line.






Today I was able to walk the two block distance from my apartment to the PSB (Public Security Bureau) also known as the police station. I have been needing to go there since the day I arrived in China in late July. What I didn't know until October was that I was supposed to register with them upon arrival in the city. The IMPORTANT PART is there there is rumored to be a 1,000RBM (about $150) fine for ever day that passes and you don't register. So When I figured all this out it was mid October and I had already been in country for nearly three months; I was not about to pay a fine like that... i think it was something like $14,000. The easiest way to navigate around this Chinese Bureaucratic nightmare was to make a little trip to Hong Kong. I suppose there are worse places to have to go.
I didnt know how wonderful it was until this weekend... and it is really wonderful... city, mountain ans water, so much like San Francisco, but more-so and better.
here are a few moments from my weekend.

1 comment:

Thomas Henry Pope said...

Sierra, The picture of the slice of apartments showing through the concrete swirl is brilliant. And in general ytour eye is fab.